Winter is officially here. It snowed pretty much all weekend, so now we have a foot of sloppy snow covering everything. It's a lot like southern Ontario winter: about 0 degrees, slushy and generally gray. The highway into town is still open, but probably within the next week or so, the ferries will come out and we'll be cut off by road until the ice freezes thick enough to let the dare-devils to cross the Mackenzie and Pelly Rivers. We've still got plenty of sunlight (when we've got clear skies), but it doesn't get light until after I get to school (~8:30) and I noticed yesterday that it's setting much more southerly than when I got here. I can watch the sunsets from my apartment though, so that's pretty nice. The weekend held a great party celebrating Quebecois beer thrown by the Francophone society. Those Quebequers really know how to make 9% beer.
This week I managed to finish up my Ontario med school applications. Now I just have to wait 8 more months to find out if I got in or not. The incredibly popular intramural floor hockey league started this week at school. Even though I'm not much of a hockey star, I figured I could call the game like it is, so I've got myself a whistle and don't put up with highsticking or cherry picking. The library is starting to come together now too. I'm getting my office room cleaned out and the books on the shelves. Next week I'm going to get classes of kids coming in to introduce them to our revamped library space and do some silent reading. I think I'll start taking some books out too, lots of good ones keep catching my attention, mostly the SciFi/Fantasy of course, although I've got to try the new Gordon Korman.
3 comments:
Just don't blow the whistle while you're reading Gordon Korman !
I hope you have at least part of the Saddle Club series. That would be totally relevant to your students. Also... silent reading!!! I think if I refer to my grad work that way maybe I would actually do it... hahah.
Love the new photos ... very nice !
Post a Comment